First trimester abortion from 3 to 13 weeks
The State of Arkansas has a 48-hour waiting period that requires 2 visits to our office.
The “weeks gestation” is determined by ultrasound examination. Pregnancy is dated from the date of the last menstrual period (“LMP”). It is known that the time of conception is normally two weeks after the beginning of the menstrual period. One week after conception (3 weeks by the LMP) the pregnancy test becomes positive and the pregnancy can be safely terminated.
If you are interested in knowing the appearance of the fetus at various stages of pregnancy click here:
The abortion is performed under local anesthesia. We offer Nitrous oxide for relaxation and pain relief. Intravenous conscious sedation is optionally available at a modest extra cost. We give individual and private care.
The average length of time a patient spends in our clinic is 2 to 3 hours. We achieve this short stay by scheduling individual appointments throughout the day.
- Clinic Visit
- Exam and Ultrasound
- Abortion Procedure
What to expect on the day of your first trimester abortion appointment
- You must call for an appointment – 48 Hour Waiting Period requires (2) visits.
- Your first visit you will meet with one of our physicians to receive state required information including the risks of continuing a pregnancy and the risks of abortion.
- Your second visit will take 2-4 hours at our clinic.
- You may bring one escort with you, but it is not necessary if you will not be sedated. When you leave the clinic, you will feel well and be able to drive your car.
- If you choose to be sedated during your procedure you MUST have a driver.
All Patients (Prior to Arrival)
- If you are currently taking prescribed medication, take it as scheduled. If you are asthmatic bring your inhaler when you come for your appointment.
- If your appointment is before 11 AM do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- If you have an 11 AM or later appointment do not eat anything after midnight and only clear liquid (water, Sprite or 7-Up) until 8 AM.
- Wear comfortable clothing and underwear that can support a maxi pad.
- Children and infants are not allowed in the clinic. This is a courtesy to other patients and a safety protocol.
- You must have a state or government issued Photo ID.
- Payments must be made in either cash, MasterCard, Visa or Discover.