Second Trimester Abortion 14 to 17 weeks
We accept patients into our second trimester program who are between 14 and 21 weeks from their last menstrual period.
The “weeks gestation” is accurately determined by ultrasound examination. Pregnancy is dated from the date of the last menstrual period (LMP). It is known that the time of conception is normally two weeks after the beginning of the last menstrual period. Our upper limit by ultrasound is 5.3 cm, which is 21 weeks from the last menstrual period (19 weeks after conception).
If you are interested in knowing the appearance of the fetus at various stages of pregnancy click on links below.
Or if you are interested in state provided information about fetal pain click on links below:
What to expect for your second trimester abortion
- You must call for an appointment – 48 Hour Waiting Period requires (2) visits.
- Your first visit you will meet with one of our physicians to receive state required information including the risks of continuing a pregnancy and the risks of abortion. At least 48 hours later you will return to begin your abortion.
- Your second visit will take 3-5 hours at our clinic
- We often use an oral medication here in the office to soften and prepare your cervix (the opening to the uterus) This can take additional time here at the clinic.
- You will be sedated during your procedure. You MUST have a driver.
Second Trimester Abortion 17 to 21 weeks
Our goal is to provide each patient with the safest abortion possible; we insert Laminaria that dilate or open the cervix on the first visit, after the consultation visit with the physician, and then complete the abortion on the next day.
Laminaria are matchstick like pieces of sterilized seaweed which, when placed in the cervix, will absorb fluid and gradually swell in a sponge-like fashion. They gently open and soften the cervix. Insertion of the Laminaria is a brief procedure.
Each patient is given a detailed list of instructions to follow after the Laminaria insertion. A nurse and physician from our staff are on-call for after hour’s consultation should you have concerns or needs.
You are required to be within 30 minutes from our clinic during the two-day process to assure that we are available and nearby should you need medical care. It is essential that you call the clinic with any problems or concerns. The following morning, you will return to the clinic, and while under IV sedation, the Laminaria, are removed and the abortion completed.
After a recovery room stay of usually less than 1 hour, you will be released from the clinic to return home. Even though you may feel alert, you will still be under the influence of the drugs used for your sedation. For your safety and that of others you must wait at least until the next day before you drive, operate machinery or drink alcohol.
What to expect on the day of your 2nd trimester abortion appointment
- The 48 Hour Waiting Period prior to your abortion will be required.
- For your own safety, you are required to bring an escort to drive you home after the procedure.
- Please bring Ibuprofen or Advil, and maxi pads for the overnight stay.
- Sedation patients must remove all nail polish, acrylic or overlay from the middle finger on your right hand.
- It will be necessary for you to be close to the clinic (within 30 minutes) on the evening between visit one and two. This is for your safety and will allow us to manage complications should they arise.
- If overnight accommodations are needed, several reasonably priced, quality motels are located nearby. We will be happy to assist you in any way possible and will provide a map and all contact information. Click here for [Hotel Recommendations]