The following aftercare instructions recommend that you return in 4 weeks after your abortion.
You will see our female nurse practitioner for a FREE post exam (follow-up) to ensure that everything has returned to normal after your procedure. If you cannot return, it is ok to see a physician or nurse practitioner in your area for an annual exam, but note there will be a fee for a post visit outside our center.
Aftercare Instructions – PDF
- Eat a light meal after leaving the clinic.
- For the next two weeks avoid:
- Tampons (Use sanitary napkins)
- Submerging your body in water (i.e. hot tubs, bathtubs and swimming)
- You may shower and wash your hair
- Feminine sprays
- Bleeding may last only a few hours or it may persist for 4-8 weeks. If you saturate (soak) 2 or more pads an hour for 6 hours or 1 pad an hour for 12 hours, call us.
- It is also normal for women to experience some cramping and clotting. However, the external uterine massage may help relieve these symptoms:
As the nurse instructed, you should complete 10 to 20 hand rotations every 15 minutes for 1 hour. You should press firmly with your hands to your lower abdomen while lying on your back with your knees to your chest. Massage every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Take the next hour off. If your cramps are continuing, you should repeat the above schedule. If not relieved and cramping becomes excessive, please call the clinic
- Call us if you have not had a menstrual period within 10 weeks after the procedure.
- Take your temperature daily – each morning – for the next 3 days. If your temperature is over 101 degrees, call the office.
- It is normal for a pregnancy test to remain positive for 3 or 4 weeks.
- If you have been given birth control pills, take your 1st pill on Sunday following the procedure.
- If you received IV sedation today, you must have a driver take you home.
- For 24 hours following the procedure, you should not drive or make any decisions requiring judgment, due to transient mental impairment from the use of anesthesia drugs.
Azithromycin (antibiotic) – Was given to you in the clinic to prevent infection. One dose is all you need for a preventative.
Ibuprofen (for mild to moderate cramps) – Advil, Motrin – can be purchased without a prescription. Take 400mg to 800mg, 2 to 4 tablets, up to every 4 to 6 hours. (The maximum amount recommended is 3200mg, or 16 tablets, in a 24-hour period.)
Tramadol (for moderate to severe cramping) – Take one every four hours as directed for cramping not relieved by Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, , etc.) As long as severe cramps are present, monitor your temperature, report any temp over 101 degrees.
Call the clinic if you have cramps not controlled by medication.
You may have some menstrual-like cramping. If so, you can take Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) 800mg every 4 hours. If 2 hours after taking Ibuprofen, your cramps have not been relieved, take 1/2 to 1 Tramadol tablet. If 2 hours after taking Tramadol, cramping continues (which has been 4 hours since taking Ibuprofen) you may start again with Ibuprofen. Repeating the same medication schedule. (The maximum amount of ibuprofen recommended is 3200mg, or 16 tablets, in a 24-hour period.)
If problems develop, follow instructions listed below:
- Avoid all stimulation to breasts; sleep on your back; wear tight bra during day, sleep in sports bra if necessary; no touching breasts. A shower may cause stimulation.
- Ice packs as needed; no heat, Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) as needed for pain.
- If above instructions are followed, symptoms will subside in approximately 72 hours.
If you have any problems or questions about aftercare instructions, CALL US AT ANY TIME. Frequently asked questions here.
Why Choose LRFPS
Abortion is legal (allowed) in the State of Arkansas. Patients must receive state-directed counseling and wait 72 hours before having an abortion.
In addition, we have a team of very experienced physicians that are all medical doctors, and licensed by the state of Arkansas. Willie Parker, MD, our Medical Director has been providing abortion care for years.
Little Rock Family Planning Services is a modern, free standing, out-patient surgical center. We provide abortion care to a wide geographical area including, Texas and Louisiana. Currently, we are the only licensed abortion clinic in the state of Arkansas.
Medical excellence, confidentiality and state-of-the-art women’s health care provided in a SAFE setting with a compassionate and non-judgmental staff. We meet and exceed Clinical Policy Guidelines established by the National Abortion Federation.
To estimate the length of your pregnancy, enter the first day of your last period in the field below, and then press ‘calculate’ to the right of it.
“Uplifting. Encouraging. Professional. Non-Judgmental. Excellent.”
“Thank you so much for getting me through this procedure. You all are awesome.”
“Very helpful, courageous people doing a great service for the community”
“I am very appreciative of the politeness and the accepting atmosphere”
“Love all the employees and doctors. You all made my experience as good as it can be.”