Second Trimester Abortion 14 to 17 weeks
Patients who are between 14 and 17 weeks from their last menstrual period.
A second trimester surgical abortion is most often performed for elective abortion. Periodically, for miscarriage management for pregnancy termination due to fetal anomalies and/or maternal health conditions.
During the second trimester, between 14 and 17 weeks after your last menstrual period the abortion procedure is typically performed in one day. This is considered to be a simple, safe abortion procedure.
You might have mild cramps during the procedure. Many patients do not remember the procedure and have no cramps at all.
You must call (501) 225-3836 for an appointment. The State of Arkansas 72 Hour Waiting Period requires (2) visits prior to having an in-clinic abortion procedure.
Day 1 - Your First Visit
- At your first visit, you will meet with one of our physicians to receive state mandated information including, the risks of continuing a pregnancy and the risks of abortion.
The “weeks gestation” is accurately determined by ultrasound examination. Pregnancy is dated from the date of the last menstrual period (LMP). It is known that the time of conception is normally two weeks after the beginning of the last menstrual period. Our upper limit by ultrasound is 5.3 cm, which is 21 weeks from the last menstrual period (19 weeks after conception).
If you are interested in knowing the appearance of the fetus at various stages of pregnancy or if you are interested in state provided information about fetal pain click on links below:
>> Abortion Decision Book - English
>> Abortion Decision Book - En Español
DAY 2 - Your In-Clinic Second Trimester Abortion
- Your second visit to our clinic will take about 3-5 hours
- Exam and Ultrasound
- We use an oral medication to soften and prepare your cervix (opening to the uterus)
- You will be sedated during your procedure
- Abortion Procedure
How to prepare for your abortion on Day 2
- If you are currently taking prescribed medication, take it as scheduled.
- If you are asthmatic bring your inhaler when you come for your appointment.
- You may have a very light breakfast like toast or crackers and only clear liquid (water, Sprite or 7-Up) until 8 AM.
- Wear comfortable clothing and underwear that can support a maxi pad
- Children and infants are not allowed in the clinic. This is a courtesy to other patients and a safety protocol.
- Sedation patients must remove all nail polish, acrylic or overlay from the middle finger on your right hand.
- You must have a state or government issued Photo ID
- Payments must be made in either cash, MasterCard, Visa or Discover. Cardholder must be present with their picture ID
- You must have a driver to take you home
If you want to know more about our abortion care for second trimester abortions 14 to 17 weeks, feel free to call us directly so we can answer your questions.
We are a proud member of the National Abortion Federation ("NAF") — an organization that sets national standards for abortion care and Abortion Care Network ("ACN") — provides independent providers with tools and resources to keep exceptional, patient-centered abortion care available.
Why Choose LRFPS
Abortion is legal (allowed) in the State of Arkansas. Patients must receive state-directed counseling and wait 72 hours before having an abortion.
In addition, we have a team of very experienced physicians that are all medical doctors, and licensed by the state of Arkansas. Willie Parker, MD, our Medical Director has been providing abortion care for years.
Little Rock Family Planning Services is a modern, free standing, out-patient surgical center. We provide abortion care to a wide geographical area including, Texas and Louisiana. Currently, we are the only licensed abortion clinic in the state of Arkansas.
Medical excellence, confidentiality and state-of-the-art women’s health care provided in a SAFE setting with a compassionate and non-judgmental staff. We meet and exceed Clinical Policy Guidelines established by the National Abortion Federation.
To estimate the length of your pregnancy, enter the first day of your last period in the field below, and then press ‘calculate’ to the right of it.
“Uplifting. Encouraging. Professional. Non-Judgmental. Excellent.”
“Thank you so much for getting me through this procedure. You all are awesome.”
“Very helpful, courageous people doing a great service for the community”
“I am very appreciative of the politeness and the accepting atmosphere”
“Love all the employees and doctors. You all made my experience as good as it can be.”