Second Trimester Abortion 18 to 21 weeks
Patients who are between 18 and 21 weeks from their last menstrual period.
At LRFP we specialize in second trimester surgical abortion (commonly, known as "late abortion") where a gynecologist with special training, removes a pregnancy using medication, small dilating sticks called Laminaria, special instruments, and vacuum curettage.
Often, these patients are with a desired and planned pregnancy. However, thru various lab and ultrasound testing, a severe abnormality in the fetus is discovered or the woman is found to have a medical condition that makes the pregnancy unusually hazardous.
You must call (501) 225-3836 for an appointment. The State of Arkansas 72 Hour Waiting Period requires (2) visits prior to an in-clinic abortion procedure.
Please note, if you are between 18 and 21 weeks since your last menstrual period you will need to plan for (3) visits to our clinic.
Day 1 - Your First Visit
- At your first visit, you will meet with one of our physicians to receive state mandated information including, the risks of continuing a pregnancy and the risks of abortion.
The “weeks gestation” is accurately determined by ultrasound examination. Pregnancy is dated from the date of the last menstrual period (LMP). It is known that the time of conception is normally two weeks after the beginning of the last menstrual period. Our upper limit by ultrasound is 5.3 cm, which is 21 weeks from the last menstrual period (19 weeks after conception).
If you are interested in knowing the appearance of the fetus at various stages of pregnancy or if you are interested in state provided information about fetal pain click on links below:
>> Abortion Decision Book - English
>> Abortion Decision Book - En Español
Day 2 - Second Visit
At your scheduled 2nd visit to our clinic, we will insert Laminaria that will dilate or open the cervix. Your abortion procedure will take place the next day.
Laminaria are matchstick like pieces of sterilized seaweed which, when placed in the cervix, will absorb fluid and gradually swell into a sponge-like fashion. They gently open and soften the cervix. Insertion of the Laminaria is a brief procedure.
You will be given a detailed list of instructions to follow after the Laminaria insertion. A nurse and physician from our staff are on-call for after hour’s consultation should you have any concerns or needs. It is essential that you call the clinic with any problems or concerns.
You are required to be within 30 minutes from our clinic during the two-day abortion process to assure that we are available and nearby should you need medical care.
Day 3 - Following morning return to the clinic
- Laminaria will be removed
- You will be prepped for your procedure
- Abortion procedure will be completed
- Less than 1 hour in the recovery room, you should be ready to be released from the clinic
- You must have a driver to drive you home or back to your hotel. Even though you may feel alert, you will still be under the influence of the sedative drugs.
- For your safety and that of others you must wait at least until the next day before you drive, operate machinery or drink alcohol.
- Follow Aftercare Instructions
- Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any concerns
How to prepare for your later 2nd trimester abortion appointment
- For your own safety, you are required to bring an escort to drive you home after the procedure.
- Please bring Ibuprofen or Advil, and maxi pads for the overnight stay.
- Sedation patients must remove all nail polish, acrylic or overlay from the middle finger on your right hand.
- It will be necessary for you to be close to the clinic (within 30 minutes) on the evening between visit one and two. This is for your safety and will allow us to manage problems should they arise.
- If overnight accommodations are needed, several reasonably priced, quality motels are located nearby. We will be happy to assist you in any way possible and will provide a map and all contact information.
Click here for Hotel Recommendations
Our goal is to provide each patient with the safest abortion possible.
Why Choose LRFPS
Abortion is legal (allowed) in the State of Arkansas. Patients must receive state-directed counseling and wait 72 hours before having an abortion.
In addition, we have a team of very experienced physicians that are all medical doctors, and licensed by the state of Arkansas. Willie Parker, MD, our Medical Director has been providing abortion care for years.
Little Rock Family Planning Services is a modern, free standing, out-patient surgical center. We provide abortion care to a wide geographical area including, Texas and Louisiana. Currently, we are the only licensed abortion clinic in the state of Arkansas.
Medical excellence, confidentiality and state-of-the-art women’s health care provided in a SAFE setting with a compassionate and non-judgmental staff. We meet and exceed Clinical Policy Guidelines established by the National Abortion Federation.
To estimate the length of your pregnancy, enter the first day of your last period in the field below, and then press ‘calculate’ to the right of it.
“Uplifting. Encouraging. Professional. Non-Judgmental. Excellent.”
“Thank you so much for getting me through this procedure. You all are awesome.”
“Very helpful, courageous people doing a great service for the community”
“I am very appreciative of the politeness and the accepting atmosphere”
“Love all the employees and doctors. You all made my experience as good as it can be.”